An In-Depth Layla vs Purple Mattress Comparison [Unbiased]
Getting the right mattress can be very daunting with tons of choices and options available in the market. You can literally feel numb in making the decision due to the excellent features and highly competitive prices bedding companies are offering for mattresses. But to help you reach a decision and get a perfect mattress for yourself, we have made this comparison of the two finest mattresses in the market.
Both the Layla and Purple started with mattresses in 2015 and have made a name for themselves in the market due to their unique features. So this comparison will talk about various factors about these mattresses and will help you decide which one you should get based on your budget and sleeping preferences.
Save $100 off & 2 FREE Pillows with our link below & promo code INSIDERS100
Best Price AND FREE sheets, pillow, mattress protector, blanket, or seat cushion when you buy any Purple Mattress with the Link Below
Quick Overview of the Mattresses:
The company was started in 2015 and since then, they have been focused on making mattresses that are not only highly comfortable and supportive but also cooler so the sleeper can enjoy a peaceful sleep. They leverage copper-infused memory foams that are not only cooler than most of the memory foams but also possess pressure relieving properties. The mattress comes in medium-firm feel that appeals to a majority of sleepers worldwide.
Founded in 2015, Purple has been thriving with its flagship Purple Original mattress that features a Smart Grid design that is made using the bucking-column gel to provide the sleepers with excellent cooling and bounciness. The mattress boasts a total of three layers that, combined together, offer great support, medium-firm feel and incredible contouring to facilitate the needs of most of the sleepers.
Pros and Cons of the Mattresses:
- Provides close conforming to offer pressure relief and help with pain
- Offers good motion isolation
- Value for the price
- Free shipping in the contiguous U.S states
- Layla is flappable with different firmness levels on each side
- Comes with a unique cover that makes it easy to flip the mattress
- Edge support is somewhat fair
- May have some off-gassing
- It offers great bounciness with excellent response time
- The foam layers are covered with a highly breathable and durable cover
- Offers incredible cooling
- Can facilitate most of the sleeping styles
- Provides good pressure relief
- Not good edge support
- A little firmer than usual and may not be very close conforming
The comfort of the Mattresses:
The Puffy mattress is a bit on the firmer side. On average it could be a seven on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is very soft and 10 being the very firm. As already mentioned the puffy mattress has a true medium-firm feel to it.
It is by far one of the best mattresses for those that like to sleep on their stomach or back. For those who sleep on their side; you should look for a softer mattress. Some occasional side sleeping is okay, but if you sleep on your side regularly on the puffy mattress you may feel a little sore.
The firmness of the purple mattress is 6.5. It is a bit on the softer side and the difference is pretty noticeable. The grid structure does an excellent job of distributing the weight evenly. The puffy mattress also has a bouncy feeling to it, which can add to the mattress feeling soft. Also, it is very accommodating for all sleeping position.
Furthermore, Purple is unequivocally one of the best options for the stomach, back, and side sleepers, but the softness does take some getting used to. Lastly, you might also feel the middle layer beneath the first layer if you add heavier weight.
Construction and Materials of Mattresses:
Layla mattress is 10 inches thick and is a flippable mattress, which means that it has two different sides with different firmness levels. One side is medium-firm and has a black color while the grey side is softer and can be considered as medium-soft. Then there is the cover of the mattress that is infused with the Thermogel that keeps the sleeper cool. So aside from the top cover, the mattress has four layers mentioned below:
- The soft side (grey side) has a three inches thick copper infused memory foam that offers support and keeps the surface soft
- The next layer is two inches thick convoluted support foam that contains channels to aid with the airflow
- The third layer from the soft side is the 4.5 inches base foam that has a weight of two pounds
- The last layer that is the top layer of the firmer side (black side) is one inch in thickness and is based on copper-infused memory foam that provides medium firmness
So these are all the layers of the Layla mattress and people who prefer firm surfaces can lay on the black side and those who want to experience a softer feel can go for the gray side.
Purple mattress has three different foam layers and boasts a very breathable, thin cover that is made using the mixture of viscose, polyester-lycra and polyester. Furthermore, the whole mattress has a thickness of 9.5 inches and its three layers include:
- The first layer is two inches thick and is made with the hyper-elastic polymer that makes it cool and quiet bouncy
- The second layer has a thickness of 3.5 inches and polyurethane foam is used to make it that enhances the support level of the sleeper
- Third and the last layer has a thickness of four inches and is made using the polyurethane foam that provides the sleeper with deep compression
All of the three layers and the thin cover of the mattress make it very breathable, cool and comfortable allowing the user to sleep peacefully.
Responsiveness and Support:
The mattress has two different firmness levels combined into one mattress. There is a softer side which has a grey color and then there is a medium-firm level that has a black color. You can easily flip the mattress to get the side you prefer on top. Furthermore, both sides leverage a classic memory foam that cradles the curves of the body while offering excellent support.
However, unlike Purple, there is virtually no bounciness with this mattress so if you like the bouncy feel, this might not be the mattress for you. Also, the response time of this mattress is very quick this means your weight will be very well supported.
The mattress offers the medium firm feel and though it does not offer dual-firmness levels, its moderate firmness makes it highly appealing to most of the sleepers. Plus, Purple mattress is known for its unique feel that cannot be found anywhere else.
Also, the mattress offers incredible bounciness which is not the case with the Layla mattress so that means it has an excellent response time as well. This means you enjoy sleeping in various positions on medium firm, yet the highly comfortable surface of Purple mattress.
Motion Transfer and Coolness of the Mattresses:
Layla Motion Transfer:
Layla mattress offers excellent motion isolation due to the use of memory foams that greatly minimize the motion transfer. So whether you jump or get in and out of the mattress, you will get minimal motion transfer. Also, Layla is not very bouncy that further helps with the motion isolation and provides you with undisturbed sleep even if your partner moves a lot during the night.
Purple Motion Transfer:
When it comes to motion transfer, the purple mattress is designed to offer a minimal transfer of motion. And though it is more on the bouncier side, it still offers great motion isolation that is enough for you to move freely or get in/out of the mattress without disturbing the sleep of your partner.
The coolness of the Mattresses:
Have you ever touched copper pipes in your home? They are always cold and since Layla boasts a copper-infused memory foam on both sides, the mattress stays cool all night long. Furthermore, cooper is among the most heat conductive metals that means it will take away the heat from your body and help you sleep peacefully.
If you are a very warm sleeper and looking for a mattress that can help you sleep cool, the Purple mattress is a way to go. Though Layla offers virtually the same coolness, Purple has a unique structure that allows the air to flow freely and take away the heat of the sleeper with it. This makes it excellent for people who tend to sleep hot during the night.
Who Should Get Which Mattress?
When Should You Choose Layla Mattress?
- If you like to sleep on your side, you will enjoy sleeping on the softer side of the mattress
- If you have a problem of waking up with dead arms or severe back/neck
- If you want to get high value at a very affordable price and a lifetime warranty
- If you want to get low motion transfer and excellent cooling of the copper-infused memory foam
When Should You Choose Purple Mattress?
- If you want to try the unique feel of the purple mattress that is not only very comforting but also hypoallergenic
- If you want to get excellent cooling and breathability
- If you like bouncy mattresses that are highly responsive
- If you want a little firmer mattress than the Layla
After looking at the key points and pros and cons of both mattresses, it is safe to say that they offer different comfort levels and different firmness levels and have their own unique features. But to conclude this article, we would suggest that you should go with Layla if you prefer a dual sided mattress, lower price and lifetime warranty.
However, if you want to get a bouncy mattress that is not only highly breathable and cool but also has its own signature feel that is very comforting, then the Purple mattress would be an ideal choice. However, keep in mind that you may have to pay a little higher and will only get a 10-year warranty.
So make sure to weigh your options carefully and do your complete due diligence before deciding on any mattress to get optimal value out of your investment.