Answers to Common Questions About Mattress Sizes
How do you determine mattress size?
There are standard mattress sizes in the USA and most parts of the world. Standard sizes include twin 38 inches x 75 inches, twin xl 38×80, Full 54×75, Queen 60×80, King 76×80, and California king 72×84. There are also some common custom sizes such as short queens at 60×75 or long fulls at 54×80. You can also read our mattress reviews to gain insights.
What size is best for a mattress?
What size mattress is best for you is based on individual needs. Children often sleep on twin, twin xl, or full-size mattresses, such as a SleepOvation mattress. Most adults, if room permits often choose queen or king-size mattresses. Couples should be considering a queen at least but ideally, if your bedroom has the space king size is the best option for two people.
Are mattress sizes universal?
Mattress sizes are universal within the USA and some parts of the world. However, in some countries mattress sizes and names can differ and they have their own universal sizes and names. The best mattresses typically come in multiple sizes which are clearly stated.
What sizes do RV mattresses come in?
Many RV mattresses will fit standard mattress sizes. A very common RV mattress size is what is called a short queen. They are often 5 inches shorter than a regular queen. Some RV’s and campers will have custom-size mattresses, when replacing this type of mattress there are a number of brands or factories around the country that can make completely custom-size mattresses. There is typically an upcharge for such a mattress to be made. Testing a mattress in advance of making a purchase is always adviced. However, this is more challenging on custom orders.
How do I know what size mattress I have?
The best way to figure out the size of your mattress is to measure it from side to side. A twin and twin xl will measure the same from side to side at 38 inches. Measuring from head to toe may be needed to narrow down if you have a regular or twin xl. A twin will measure 75 inches long and an XL will measure 80 inches long.
For the rest of the sizes you can measure side to side. A full will measure 54 inches wide, a queen 60 inches wide, a king 76 inches wide, and a California king 72 inches wide. Keep in mind most manufacturers will allow a variance of around 1 inch. When you measure, they may not always be the exact measurement.
What are the 5 types of beds according to their sizes?
- Twin (sometimes called a single).
- Twin XL.
- Full (sometimes called a double).
- California King
Listed above are the standard mattress sizes in the United States. You will also benefit from reading our Full vs Queen size mattress guide and Twin vs Twin XL mattress guide.
Conclusion: Finding the best mattress size for you
When trying to find the right mattress size to fit the needs of you or your family, these are a few things to have in mind.
- If upgrading for adults to a larger size be sure to measure your room to make sure you can accommodate the size you want.
- If you are upgrading your child’s mattress be mindful of how tall they may get and if you want to bypass a twin size for a full or queen if height is prominent in your family.
- Third, who will be sleeping in it? If it’s just you and you are not tall, you may be good with a twin xl r full/double size. But, if you are a couple, single with a child or pet you may want to strongly consider a queen or king.
- Keep in mind if you are looking to buy a new bedroom set or upgrade in mattress size, the larger you go typically the bed frame, beds, platforms, etc will also become more expensive to buy. Spending more now to get the comfort and space you want is generally not a bad investment. Unless it doesn’t fit in your space, you will never say “I wish I had a smaller mattress”.
Now that you have an idea of what size mattress could work great for you take some time to see our other guides and which mattress might work best for you.
Top Mattress Picks
Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
Best Mattress for Back Sleepers
Best Mattress for Stomach Sleepers
Best Pillows, Sheets, Protectors and More