Eight Sleep Custom Mattress Review
The Eight Sleep mattress is an increasingly popular mattress on account of its innovative design, which allows you to specify what sort of mattress you want and further customize it according to your individual sleep needs.
For example, when you first visit the Eight Sleep website, it prompts you to select which characteristics you want your mattress to have (such as size and firmness level). This allows you to customize your mattress so that you can get the sleep experience that you desire.
It is also available in four different sizes: Full, Queen, King, and California King (there is some pricing differences between the sizes; the King size and California King size are more expensive than the smaller sizes).
But the most incredible thing about this mattress is that it features cutting edge technology that can help you track your sleep patterns and health stats while you rest; it can track when you are in REM sleep versus deep sleep and can even keep track of our heart rate and respiratory rate.
Additionally, it also features a smart alarm that will wake you up when you are in your lightest stage of sleep; this is very helpful for waking up and feeling refreshed (rather than feeling groggy, as tends to happen when you are woken from a deeper sleep).
And as if all of that weren’t enough to be excited about, the Eight Sleep mattress can even be integrated into your Smart Home. You can also choose to add in additional bed accessories (such organic sheets or a waterproof mattress protector) when you order as well.
Delivery, Unboxing & Set-up
Your customized Eight Sleep mattress will arrive anywhere from one to two weeks after you first place your online order. Eight Sleep mattresses are shipped in much the same fashion as other bed-in-a-box mattress brands; your mattress will be compressed and vacuum-sealed in plastic and then shipped to you in a sturdy cardboard box.
This package containing the mattress will weigh about ninety pounds and could be awkward to maneuver depending upon your lifting capabilities, so don’t hesitate to get someone to help you bring it inside your home and into your bedroom if you think that might it might give you some trouble.
That being said, the technological part of the mattress (the part that manages the sleep tracking and health tracking) does sip in a separate box from the main body of the mattress; this box is slightly smaller and weighs only about seventeen pounds.
You Like the Eight Sleep Custom Mattress if You:
- Want the ability to customize the firmness of your mattress when you order. If you’re worried about getting a level of firmness that you’re comfortable with, this mattress is an excellent choice because you get to select the level of firmness for yourself when you order your mattress; with three options (soft, medium, and firm) you should have no trouble getting the right level of firmness for your needs. Furthermore, for an additional cost you can even customize your mattress to have a different firmness level on each side (such as soft on one side and firm on the other.
- Want something with good motion reduction. Because this mattress is constructed entirely out of different types of memory foam (with four layers total), it’s a great choice if you want to minimize motion transference (the phenomenon that occurs when movement in one part of the bed causes vibrations that spread through the mattress, potentially disturbing your bed partner). The third layer in particular, which is made out of a special transition foam, helps a great deal with capturing and minimizing vibrations. That being said, the softer option will likely provide better motion reduction than the medium or firm options, simply because it is plusher and therefore more effective at absorbing vibrations in general.
- Share your bed with another person. Not only can you customize your mattress to have different levels of firmness on each side (which is ideal if you have a bed partner who likes a softer or firmer mattress experience than you do), but you can also adjust the temperature on each side, making it warmer on your side or theirs depending upon your preferences. The minimal motion transference also makes it a good choice if you share your bed as well.
- Want a mattress with good temperature regulation and heat control. Thanks to the advanced technology incorporated into the Eight Sleep mattress, you can choose to turn up the heat in either side of the mattress (or turn it down), giving you greater control over your mattress’s heat retention. The specially designed foams utilized in the construction of this mattress also help to make it more breathable, which is also better for temperature regulation. Also, the ability to adjust the heat level of your mattress can be especially useful during the cold winter months, too.
- Want excellent pressure relief. Thanks to the multiple layers of specially designed foams that are utilized in this mattress, it’s a great choice when it comes to pressure relief for your entire body. The top layer and the second layer in particular (which are made out of a poly-foam and a memory foam respectively) are great for helping with pressure relief while the lower layers serve as firm support.
- Want a reasonable trial period and warranty. The Eight Sleep mattress comes with a trial period of a hundred nights, which is plenty of time for you to both adjust to sleeping your new mattress and decide whether or not it’s working to meet your individual sleep needs (as well as the needs of your partner if you share your bed). It also comes with a ten year warranty that will cover any construction defects in the mattress.
- Want a custom mattress that is reasonably priced. Custom mattresses from other brands can often cost a couple thousand dollars at the very least (and sometimes even more depending on the company in question). A custom Eight Sleep mattress is not only more advanced when compared to mattresses from competing brands, but it is also more reasonably priced (with the smallest size starting out at just under a thousand dollars, with the larger sizes costing a little bit more).
- Want something that incorporates advanced technology. If you’ve ever had any interest in owning a smart-bed that can track your sleep patterns (as well as your heart rate and respiratory rate), then this is a great choice for you. It can also be connected to your Smart Home is you have one, and the heat feature (used to adjust the heat on either side of the mattress depending on your preference) can be controlled through your smart-phone as well.
- Want a great customer service experience. Not only is ordering your custom mattress incredibly straightforward and easy, the customer service offered by the company is excellent as well. If you ever experience any problems with your Eight Sleep mattress, they will be more than happy to help you resolve the issue to your satisfaction. They also have a great trial period (of a hundred) days that doesn’t require you to try the mattress for a minimum amount of time before returning it.
You Might Not Like the Eight if You:
- Want good edge support. Because the Eight Sleep is a mattress made entirely out of foam, it doesn’t offer very strong edge support. As a result, if you need something that is firmer on the edges and capable of bearing weight on the edges this is probably not the right choice for you; an innerspring mattress or a hybrid mattress that features a core of supportive micro-coils might be a better option for you. WIth that said in the laying down position you will not have issues with rolling of the mattress.
- Want a spring mattress. If you want a mattress that incorporates springs (either an innerspring design or a hybrid mattress that has both micro-coils and memory foam), then the Eight Sleep mattress is regrettably not the right choice for you. While there is a firmer option that has a feel somewhat reminiscent of an innerspring mattress (it is more responsive to movement and has a bit more bounce), the Eight Sleep is still made entirely out of different types of memory foam and as such simply does not offer the same qualities as a tradition (or hybrid) spring mattress.
Comfort & Feel
This mattress is unique in that you can customize your level of firmness; you have the option of selecting soft, medium, or firm, with the additional option of choosing different levels of firmness for each side of the mattress (it does cost extra to do this, but it is an excellent option if you have a bed partner who wants or needs a different level of firmness than you do).
The soft option is the best choice if you want something that is more plush and with greater sinkage (where your body sinks into the mattress). This option is great for side sleepers on account of how the plusher memory foam will contour better to the curves of your body while also offering great pressure relief for your joints and spine. That being said, this softer option is not best for stomach and back sleepers because there is not quite enough support for your spine in those positions.
The medium firmness option is one of the most popular since it offers both body-contouring comfort and great levels of support for your joints and spine. Additionally, a memory foam mattress with a medium level of firmness is a great choice no matter what sleeping position you prefer (whether it’s on your back, side, or stomach) since it can keep your spin in alignment while still providing comfort and pressure relief.
The firm option, meanwhile, offers less sinkage and plushness in comparison to the softer options, making it a harder mattress option. Generally, this option is not as popular because most people prefer comfort over firm support, but this is still a good choice if you want something a little more solid and supportive.
Ultimately, which level of firmness you choose is up to you, but the very fact that you can customize the firmness of your mattress during the buying process is an incredible step forward when it comes to mattress design and definitely helps to set apart the Eight Sleep mattress from its competition in the mattress industry.
This mattress is an excellent choice if you want a mattress that is great for reducing motion transference (where vibrations caused by movement spread throughout the mattress). The four different layers of memory foam (especially the third layer, which is made of transition foam) are great for absorbing vibrations and keeping you comfortable and undisturbed while you rest.
That being said, the softer option may be a better choice for greater motion reduction because it is more plush and therefore better at absorbing vibrations when compared to the firmer and more responsive options.
When you fist unpack and unwrap your mattress, you may notice a slightly strange odor. This is a completely normal occurrence, and nothing to be alarmed about; the smell is a normal byproduct of the compression and shipping process. In any case, the odor will disperse during the few hours it takes for your mattress to expand into its full size and shape, so it should be fine to use after that. That being said, if you are extremely sensitive to the smell, it’s recommended you wait twelve hours or so until you are certain that the odor has dissipated.
Because this mattress is made entirely out of memory foam, it is admittedly not the best choice when it comes to firmness and support in the edges. That being said, it is still capable of bearing reasonable amounts of weight on the edges for short periods of time.
In the laying down position (which is what matters most) you will not have a roll of the bed feeling.
Eight Mattress Construction
The custom model will vary depending on your preferences.
Currently, the standard Eight Sleep mattress in constructed out of four different layers of memory foam (which are adjusted accordingly depending upon the firmness level you choose) and also features a simple but effective polyester cover.
The top layer of the Eight Sleep mattress is to inches thick and made out of a special poly-foam that is designed to be more reactive and responsive than traditional memory foams; in terms of feel and consistency, this top layer is similar to latex foam. Additionally, it is also more breathable than traditional foams and offers great pressure relief as well.
The second layer of this mattress is also two inches thick but is made out of memory foam rather than the special poly-foam of the top layer. This layer helps to provide additional pressure relief while also offering comfort for the way it helps the mattress contour to the shape of your body.
The third layer is two inches thick like the two upper layers, but is made out of a special transition foam that helps provide additional support to the top layers while also providing deep compression support (which is especially important if you’re a more heavyset person).
The fourth and final layer serves as the foundation of the Eight Sleep mattress. This layer is four inches thick and is constructed out of a durable high density support foam.
Eight Mattress Cover
Gel Foam Bed Venus also features a cover that is both breathable and stylish.
The Eight Mattresses will work great on any solid surface. The floor, platform slats, boxspring/foundation and they now offer an adjustable base as well.
EIGHT SLEEP BUILD YOUR OWN CUSTOM MATTRESS REVIEW
His and Hers – Firmness and Feel:
My Thoughts (Ross)
Her Thoughts (Kayla)
1 Very Soft
1 10 Very Firm
This mattress’s unique design allows for you to manage the temperature according to your individual needs. This is possible thanks to the innovative technology incorporated within the mattress that allows you to not just track the temperature of the mattress but also adjust it, warming up one side of the mattress (or the other) according to your preference.
That being said, it is a mattress made entirely out of memory foam, so you can expect a little extra heat retention in general. Even so, it is a good choice if you want something that offers a bit more control over how hot your sleep experience is.
Adjustable Base Performance:
The Eight Build Your Own Model being all foam will work great on an adjustable base.
Eight Mattress Price
Best Price With Our Link!
Eight Mattress Warranty and More
- Shipping – free shipping, it arrives compressed in a box. Typically 5-7 business days.
- Warranty – 10 Years
- Trial Period – 100 nights
- Discounts – Use our link above for the best price
The Eight Sleep mattress comes with a trial period of a one hundred nights. If at any point during that period you decide that your mattress isn’t working out right for your sleep needs, you can return it hassle-free at no additional cost to you.
This is a very customer-friendly trial period, since it doesn’t require you to keep the mattress for a minimum of thirty days like some other companies do; instead, whether you decide that your mattress isn’t working on the fifth day or the fiftieth, you can send it back entirely for free without any extra trouble (the company will handle all shipping and handling charges for mattress returns).
Furthermore, the Eight Sleep mattress comes with a standard warranty of ten years, which should keep your covered for the mattress’s average lifespan.